Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Why I am Better than You

You might have noticed that the URL of this site is phariseeconfessions.blogspot.com. I realize that this name may give cause for inquiry.

A "pharisee" was a teacher of the Law in ancient Judea around Jesus' time. In a society based around religious hierarchy, they were at the very top of the political, social, and religious structures of that day. They were most well educated, most powerful, highly respected men, who were deemed the "cream of the crop." They were seen as "righteous" and "moral," and people understood them to be "holy men." In fact, knowing that everyone recognized the "goodness" of the pharisees, Jesus used this to make a very strong point. In talking about salvation, Jesus said, "For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven" (Matthew 5:20), thereby making clear His point that He is the source of the righteousness needed, not human good works.

Many times in the Bible, we see Pharisees portrayed in a HIGHLY NEGATIVE light. When we hear the word "pharisee," we think of words like "hypocrite," "judgmental," and "proud."And to a certain extent, this is true. After all, Jesus said
"Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites ! For you are like whitewashed tombs which on the outside appear beautiful, but inside they are full of dead men's bones and all uncleanness" (Matthew 23:27). Because of these negative associations with pharisees, we tend to see them as a caricature for the ultimate self-righteous, angry, hypocritical, religious zealot. One who we can clearly know, and clearly oppose.

However, I would submit, that the pharisees were not as far away from the truth as we would believe.
Ultimately, what were their values? They were teachers of the Law, and were experts in the Old Testament scriptures. They were people who thought that through rigid obedience to the Law, God was pleased and His salvation would come to them as a result. I think at the core of a pharisee was a true and sincere desire to follow and obey God. How else would a pharisee survive the lifestyle that they had constructed for themselves? How could they remain motivated to a strict adherence to the Law, if it were not for the grand end of pleasing God?

When we see them in that light, we are a little more forgiving of the pharisees because we can see some of those very things in us. How many times do we have an attitude of pride because of what we do? How often do we "feel good" because we did something that was "for God" or "disciplined." When we learn more about the Bible, aren't we sometimes tempted show others how much we know? At some level, we all believe that we are "better" and somehow that we are more "lovable" because of what we have done and what we have accomplished.

The most damaging thing about a pharisee mindset is that it is such a perversion of what God has said. "God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble" (James 4:6). Having a pharisee mindset warps our thinking into believing that God somehow NEEDS us. It makes us believe that somehow WE have done something to deserve what God gives us. The focus of our lives becomes the continual greatness of our growth, motivated to increase our "rank" in the kingdom of God. WE, OURSELVES, become the focus of our spiritual lives. What a tragedy!

Rather, our lives, as God has desired, should be inherently GOD-Centered. Instead of focusing on what WE need to do, a God-centered attitude looks at what HE has done and continues to do. When we see God for who He is and what we has done, we cannot help being challenge, chastened, rebuked, encouraged, awestruck, and amazed, all at the same time. The focus of a Christian life is not WE MUST do. Rather, it's focus is on what GOD HAS DONE, through Christ's work on the cross, and the continual grace shown upon us, lowly, undeserving sinners.

Getting back to the title of this blog. The reason why I chose it as the title of this blog is that I am often guilty of a pharisee mindset. I am self-righteous. I am proud. Often times, I think I'm more talented, more knowledgeable, more gifted. I am holier than thou, smarter than though, and more interesting than thou. I am the lone prophet in the wilderness standing up for what is right: the only one who knows what God is really trying to say.

My use of the term "Pharisee Confessions" as a title is a reminder of the incompleteness of God's work in me. The moments I begin to think too highly of myself, God finds a way of knocking me off the pedestal located in my ivory tower. This title is my admission that I am a recovering pharisee. One who continually needs God's grace to chasten me, and to humble me; to remind me of who I am and how small I am compared to how grand and awesome HE is.